Thomas John, M.D. is a cornea/external disease fellowship trained at Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School
Some of his qualifications and achievements include:
- Board certified ophthalmologist, and clinical associate Professor Loyola University, Chicago.
- Former Director of Cornea Service, University of Chicago.
- Known to be a world leader in lamellar keratoplasty and sutureless ( no corneal sutures) corneal transplant.
- Edited 3 surgical textbooks in lamellar keratoplasty
- Teaches a live surgery course in Chicago.
- Editor of Ocular Surgery News Corneal Dissection Column.
- Associate Editor of Annals of Ophthalmology.
- Editor-in-chief, Techniques in Ophthalmology journal.
- Head of Cornea Department, Review of Ophthalmology
- On the editorial boards of other publications.
- Published extensively and lectures nationally and internationally.
- Received first place awards for his surgical videos from AAO, ASCRS, and ISRS.
- Named as one of the nation’s leading medical specialists in America’s Top Doctors, America’s Top Ophthalmologist ( RCA) Chicago Top Doctor, Chicago magazine.
- Senior Achievement award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology 2009.
- In November 2006, he was awarded the Physician Medal of Distinction by the Military-Medical Academy in Belgrade, Serbia.
- November 2006, he received the Distinguished Physician Award from the Indian American Medical Association (IAMA) in Chicago, IL
- Performed live surgery namely, no-stitch corneal transplant (no corneal sutures) in Venice, Italy
- February 2008, he was the invited speaker from the United States to a major Italian conference in Milan, Italy, where he taught sutureless corneal transplantation techniques to Italian eye surgeons.
- Teaches US corneal surgeons in his live surgical course here in the Chicago suburbs.
- Invited speaker to Finland by the Finnish Ophthalmologic Society
- Gave invited talks at the Indian Ophthalmological Society and at the last World Ophthalmology Congress in Brazil.
- Named Visiting Professor, Medical faculty of Military University, Military Medical Academy, Belgrade, Serbia
- Invited as a speaker to several countries globally including Finland, Italy, India, Greece, Serbia, Brazil and Peru.
Call the office today to make an appointment to meet Dr. John in person so that you can discuss your eye condition with Dr. John.